DISCOVER JANESVILLE & ROCK COUNTY
- Population over 60,000, built on the Rock River and is the county seat for Rock County named by the Native American and New England settlers from the large Rock jutting out from the River at what is now Monterey Park.
- Janesville is known as the “City of Parks” with over 2,300 acres of parkland and more than 25 miles of paved bike and walking trails.
- Janesville is home to 25% of Wisconsin’s buildings that are found on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Tallman House where Abraham Lincoln stayed while traveling. There are many local historic sites to tour and other wonderful local attractions like the beautiful Rotary Gardens.
- The International Champion Water Ski Team, the Rock Aqua Jays make their home here, training hard every year and winning numerous national and international titles. The Janesville Jets Hockey Team have their home ice in the Janesville downtown ice arena and the Beloit Snappers Baseball Team in nearby Beloit are the gateway to the National Oakland A’s Major League team.
- Rock County has a tremendous college and university opportunities in and around our area, Janesville is home to the University of Wisconsin extension of Rock County, a gateway to the entire esteemed University of Wisconsin system. Also, local colleges like Blackhawk Technical College offer many skilled trade degrees and open doors to many careers paths and educational opportunities.
- Janesville and the Rock County area has a rich history of booming businesses through the years. Agriculture has been and still is a large contribution to our culture and economy, but many famous industries and international businesses have had their start here as well – ABC Supply, Blaine Supply, Frito-Lay, Grainger, Hufcor, McFarlane Pheasant Farms, Parker Pen, Universal Acoustic and Emission Technologies and many more.
Notable graduates from
Craig or Parker High Schools
- Paul Ryan: Republican Congressman, 1999–2019, 2012 Republican vice-presidential candidate, Speaker of the House, 2015-2019
- Russ Feingold: Democratic U.S. Senator, 1993–2011
- Tim Cullen: Wisconsin State Senator, 1975-1987, and 2011-2015.
- Gloria Foster: actress famous for playing the Oracle in the Matrix and Matrix Reloaded
- Tucker Fredricks: 2006, 2010 Olympic speed skater
- Lavinia Goodell: first woman licensed to practice law in Wisconsin
- Ken Hendricks: Forbes 400 businessman & founder of ABC Supply
- Terry Ryan: former Minnesota Twins general manager, currently interim General Manager
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox: poet whose best known work was Poems of Passion. Her most enduring work contains the lines "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone"
- Mistie Bass: basketball player in the WNBA