How to Apply for Admission
Welcome to the School District of Janesville (SDJ) International Education Program website. We are committed to helping you succeed in your education goals. Please start by reviewing your eligibility as well as all the information on this page. After reviewing you may complete the online application. The information you provide will be kept confidential and used only in evaluating your request for admission, making the proper school placement, and making an appropriate host family placement.
Complete Application Form
After you have reviewed all information, you may click this link to the application form:
- The application MUST be completed in English
- We recommend you first review the application questions, then prepare your responses on a separate document and finally transfer them into the online application form.
- Your parents will be required to sign the application electronically as well just prior to submission
- Your responses will NOT be saved until all questions have been answered and submitted.
Submit Your TOEFL Scores
In an effort to help you reach your goals, the School District of Janesville (SDJ) has recommended the following minimum TOEFL scores as a measure of mastery needed to succeed in our program:
* MINIMUM TOEFL SCORE FOR 12th Grade - 45 TYPICAL AVERAGE TOEFL SCORE FOR SDJ F-1 STUDENTS - 56
- You are required to submit a TOEFL test score. If you have already taken the TOEFL, please send us the official scoring page. Please use our school number: 7586 (School District of Janesville) for direct TOEFL score reporting by your testing center. Dates and locations of testing facilities near you are found on the TOEFL site: Testing Sites
If you are located in China, use this link for your to find your TOEFL testing sites and instructions: China TOEFL
Teacher Recommendation Letter
Print this form, Teacher Recommendation Letter, and give it to your English teacher. This document is confidential and they should return is to us directly. Instructions and addresses for returning the form are on the letter.
Your school must provide official transcripts of course and grades from the past two consecutive years of schooling. The documents must have an official school seal or stamp and a signature from the principal or headmaster. Your school must provide a copy translated into English and provide the grading scale used. Your school must send your transcripts to SDJ directly via email to email@example.com or to the following mailing address listed under additional documents.
An overall C average, or 2.0 Cummulative GPA (grade point average) by SDJ grading standards is the minimum required for participation in the Janesville International Education Program.
With your transcripts, your school MUST send the list of all courses in which you are currently enrolled and grade/marks for the most recent marking period
Additional Documents Required to Complete Application Process
All the following documents are required for review prior to acceptance and must be completed in English. Failure to send these documents in a timely manner may result in your application being turned down. Please make sure you have followed instructions as directed. Links to each document are provided and they are to be returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Janesville International Education Program
Janesville School District
527 S. Franklin St.
Janesville, Wisconsin, USA 53548
After You Apply for Admission
Your application and other required documents will be reviewed. We may schedule an interview with you by telephone or Skype to ask questions and discuss your educational plans.
If your application is denied, we will notify you in writing, by telephone, or by Skype.
If your application is accepted, we will notify you in writing, by telephone, or by Skype. We will also send you a formal acceptance letter to use when applying for your visa.
After You are Accepted
After being notified of your acceptance, you must immediately apply for your visa with the US Department of State
You must make and appointment with the US Consulate in your country and you MUST HAVE the following from the School District of Janesville when you attend your visa appointment.
- Acceptance Letter signed by the District Superintendent with dates and school placement.
- The official SEVIS I-20 Form indicating the terms of your acceptance.
Other Very Important Information
- Please notify SDJ immediately of receipt of your visa with a copy of your verification.
- Host Family selection and placement will be determined after acceptance and you will have an opportunity to learn more about your host family and their expectations. Your parents or legal guardians will be required to sign a Power of Attorney form authorizing your host family to make decisions on their behalf while you are in the United States.
- Tuition Payment for the first semester is due BEFORE you leave your home country to travel to Janesville. Instructions for the wire transfer will be provided after you notify SDJ that you have been granted a Visa. Refunds will be given (less a $300 processing fee) when a cancellation is received in writing a minimum of 10 days prior to the start of the student's first semester in attendance.
- After you arrive in Janesvlle, the final enrollment process will take place. You and/or your parents may be required to submit some additional form that are specific to your new school and we ask for your cooperation to complete as requested.